Saturday, May 18, 2013

Conceal it!

Conceal it!

A review of some of my favorite and not so favorite concealer products.
This will include: Concealers, color correctors and illuminators.

Also remember prices can vary.



ELF Studio Concealer Palette:

So you get four different colors in each palette which means you can pretty much make your color. This is a perk in a sense if my perfect color wasn't already in the palette. So the other colors are kind of useless to me. You don't get a lot of product in each pan, I've hit my pan already in less than a month. For three dollars though you can't complain too much. These are pretty impressive coverage wise. I always like to see how much coverage a product has by testing it on my tattoos...So yeah, this nearly covered my arm tattoo which is pretty much all grey/black and some blue. So the coverage is tops.
But in the end coverage doesn't matter much id the staying power is bad. The staying power for these are okay but they last longer if you top it with a powder and have a good base. To be honest I don't grab for this much. I also have the color corrector but I never use that.

Pros:
Cheap!!
Good shade selection(When you mix it up etc)
Good coverage

Cons:
Won't last through a work day.(4ish hours)
Have to purchase online(I think, I've never seen this one in-store before)

Price: $3
Buy again? No

You can purchase ELF online via ELF. In-store at Target, K-mart and some dollar stores. Products vary by location.



Skinfood Undereye concealer:
Kill me kill me. Okay?
I didn't want to pay for Bobbi Brown salmon toned concealer for my dark circles. I paid about $12 for this and I don't regret it one bit. Why am I saying kill me? Because this is an asian brand so it will be harder to get SORRY GUYS. If you're comfotable with ebay you'll get it no problem though. This thing is amazing and totally a go to for me. I read reviews before purchasing and it seems like anyone who has tried it loves it.
Pros:
Great staying power, lasts all day.
Lots of product in the pot.
Great for dark eyes
Affortable.

Cons:
Not many shades.(Two but this is a problem with asian cosmetics, they never tend to have darker tones. Ever)
Semi-Hard to purchase, impossible if you don't do online shopping.(Well, not impossible if you live in asia)

Price: $12.50
Buy again? Yes

Avaliable on Ebay. You may be able to find this on a asian cosmetics website as well.

Maybeline Dream Lumi Illuminator
Okay so I hate my dark circles, I also like to brighten the area.
This is the second illuminator I tried and to be honest, it's not that great.
This gets into my fine lines like it belongs there. It also creases probably 80% of the time. When it doesn't hate me and works appropriately I love it, as much as my no.7 illuminator? Nah.
This comes in a twist pen form and as we all know...One click, nothing, click click, argh nothing, Twist two more times and you get a volcano. Not my favorite form ever.

Pros:
Cheap!
Drug-store product, easy to find and buy
Decent shade selection for light/medium skin

Cons:
Creases
Gets into fine lines
Bad shade selection for darker tones

Price:  $6.50
Buy again?No

Available at most drugstores online and in store.

I can't find mine or a stock photo. Photo will be uploaded soon.
No07 Under Eye Illumnator
My first and still favorite illuminator.
This is the same as the dream lumi. It's a YSL dupe but the packaging is a click pen, just like the YSL. This works how I want it to. No creasing, long lasting and doesn't get into my fine lines. Score! Also is a fraction of the cost at 12.99 vs $40. I would love to try YSL but that price is too prestigous for me. Give me a sample because I can't commit to that price.

Pro:
Long lasting(8hrs)
Does it's job
Affordable

Cons:
Two shades, you guys kill me.

Price: $12.99
Buy again? Yes

Available in store and online by Target.

Glamoflage concealer by Hard Candy
So I had to try this because it seems like everyone loves it. I'll tell you though I went looking for it a few times and they were almost always sold out. I went to grab some snacks and then I saw it and was just like, alrighty then.
Anyways this is totally worth the hype. Works perfectly and is nearly a perfect tattoo cover up too.(Works well for small areas but on large black spots, not so much) I will be honest and say I haven't really used this on my under eye as it is reccomended not to by a lot of reviewers.I already have a under eye concealer routine that I found works for me.Why change it when I don't need to?
I find this great for concealer pores, redness, scars and acne.I use this to cover up my piercing scars and if it filled them then it would be perfect. Unfortunally it won't fill any scars or scne scarring but it covers my scars discoloration.

Pros:
Cheap
Easy to find
Long Lasting
A little goes a long way
A lot of product in bottle
Full coverage
Tattoo coverup

Cons:
I hear it's bad for the undereyes but I haven't tried that first hand.
Will not fill acne scarring/scars

 

Price: 6.00
Buy again? Yes yes yes.
Available in-store and online via Wal-Mart.

Sonia Kashuk Hidden Agenda Concealer Palette




Okay so if you haven't tried Sonya Kashuk, you should. I was apprehensive at first, not sure why. So far everything I have purchased in this brand I love except for the tinted moisturizer. This quad has three cream concealers and one matte setting powder. Since I always set my concealer I love that it's right in this palette. Very convenient. This palette seems to have a bit of a cult following so that proves it's pretty great. Though I have the older white packaging and on the back it says not to use near eye area so I don't. Kind of a scary warning to have on my concealer since I always use concealer on my under eye area.

Pros:

Easily available
Affordable
Offers setting powder in quad

Cons:
WHY IS IT ALWAYS THE SHADE SELECTION. Really I do this because it's a con for darker tones, not for lighter/mid tones.
It says right on the back, don't use near eye area? Weird.

Price: 10.99
Buy again? Maybe
Available in store and online via Target. Sonya Kashuk is a target only brand.

Coastal Scents Camo Quad
 Okay so I need to order a new one because it's been awhile since I've had a camo quad. Anyways this is more off of memory but I thought I'd put it in here because it's a fave of a lot of reviewers. I had both the color corrector and the skintoned one.
The color corrector is really pigmented and kind of harsh to blend out. Sometimes I would see some green around my nose as some other make-up faded. Good staying power but unfortunally sometimes would show through and I'd look like the wicked witch.
The skintoned concealer is great. I love the variety of colors and that you can blend your own perfect shade. Glides on, decent lasting time(6 hrs) and at a good price point.

Pros:
Good color selection
Good coverage

Cons:
Online only

Price: 7.95
Buy again? Yes

Only available here on coastal scents.

DermaBlend Cover creme
Okay so this was my number one favorite for years. This product glides on with ease and is so easy to blend. I have crazy dark circles so I would have to pack it on so often it got into my fine lines. This is great for acne and redness but for severe dark circles? I'd pass. Especially at this price point. If you're like me you need a salmon color concealer for those crazy sleepy eyes.

Pros:
Lots of product in the pot
Good color selection
Easily Available

Cons:
Um, the price?
Not good for heavy dark circles


Price: 36.00
Buy again: No(due to price)

Avaliable everywhere, I always get it at Ulta with my coupons.


My current concealer routine:
I use skinfood for my dark circles then illuminate the area using no.07 illuminator pen. I use glamoflage for my scars and redness and whereever I may need it .

Feel free to ask questions. As always I never get anything for free. If I ever did I'd be sobbing like OMG I'M POPULAR ENOUGH FOR THIS? Yeah, no. I'm a loser.

No comments:

Post a Comment